Jump to the content zone at the center

How do foreign parents adopting a child with ROC citizenship file for adoption?

(I) Application Process:
1. An attorney must register for adoption with the ROC courts.
2. The adopting parents or adoptee should file application with any household registration office.
3. When the adopting parents are unable to apply in person, they may appoint a representative by power of attorney (power of attorney established abroad must be translated into Chinese and notarized by R.O.C. foreign missions); that person with power of attorney must be approved by jurisdictional household registration office.
4. The child’s surname may be changed to that of the adopting parents; the full names of the adoptive parent shall be recorded. Adopted children shall use the surnames of their adoptive parents, or keep their original surnames.
(II) Required Documents:
1. Applicant’s identification and seal (or signature).
2. Adoptee household registry and ROC identification (except in cases where ROC ID has not been issued).
3. Court order and documentation of verification.
4. Agreement of Children’s surname.