Nangang is located at the south shore of the Keelung River. There was previously a place called “Beigang” (the north port) in Xizhi District before, so the south side is called “Nangang” (the south port). “Nangang District” was included into Taipei City in July 1968. After part of the land in Nangang was designated as an industrial area by the former Taiwan Provincial Government in 1956, various industries, such as steel, chemical engineering, textiles, electronics, printing, automobiles, food, and so on, set up factories. Although factories moving in bring prosperity to the area, due to the factory emissions of thick, black smoke, it has become the “Black Town” in people’s mouths. With the overall industrial environmental changes, nowadays, Nangang has become an important center of humanities and technology. Nangang is famous for its agriculture. In fact, one may already have known that Jiuzhuang tea mountain is the provenance of Pouchong tea. The history of the Osmanthus plantation in Nangang area is also as long as that of Pouchong tea, because Osmanthus is an important flavoring ingredient in making the tea, making Osmanthus the “district flower” of Nangang. Tourists will not only be able to visit the tea gardens and taste Pouchong tea, but also savor the special Osmanthus-flavored cuisines in the midst of the beautiful scenery of Jiuzhuang tea mountain.
Change of administrative district divisions From 1886 to 1892, a place by the name of “Nangang” (South Port) appeared in Tamsui Prefecture Log. In 1887, “Nangangzai Street” was also recorded in Tamsui Prefecture Log, a recording document of Taipei City. After War World II, the jurisdiction of Nangang was transferred to Neihu Village, Qixing District of Taipei County. It was separated from Neihu Township in July 6, 1976 to become Nangang Township. The year after Taipei City became a special municipality in 1967, it was restructured as “Nangang District”.
Taipei City Government’s urban renewal policy has encouraged non-government units to take the initiative in taking on urban renewal activities, which helped Nangang to gradually become the hub of technologies and humanities. In line with the various major construction projects, it gradually promoted its software park, second world trade center and development of other facilities such as offices, shopping centers, recreational facilities, and other public and private facilities. In terms of transport network, the favorable conditions, such as transport and location due to the MRT’s convenient circular network and major constructions, such as Huandong Boulevard, north section of Freeway No. 3 and Freeway No.5, enable Nangang to cater to various types of activities. Today, Nangang has gone through an industrial transformation, which has gradually shifted Nangang from a previously industry-oriented town (a.k.a. “Sooty Country”) to a town emphasizing leisure agriculture, which relies on the district’s natural landscape, convenient hiking trails and unique tea plantation.
Best viewed with IE 5.0 or higher with 800 x 600 resolution. Copyright 2004-2010 Taipei City Government
No.1, City Hall Rd., Xinyi District, Taipei City 11008, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
For international callers, please dial 886-2-2720-8889.
For callers in Taipei City, please dial 1999 (Toll-Free Number) for the Citizen Hotline. For callers outside of Taipei City, please dial 02-2720-8889Updated: 2017/11/23 15:14:31